Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dreaming of a Retro Island Getaway.

As I'm sitting at my computer waiting for my afro to dry, I find myself falling over and over again, head-over-heels in love with the Christian Dior SS11 Ready-to-wear line. I'm a huge fan of vintage, especially from the early to mid century, so when I saw that the collection incorporated 40s and 50s styles into modern couture looks on the runway, I couldn't help but swoon, but of course; why wouldn't I? When John Galliano is the genius behind the collection, hm?

My favorite looks had to have been from the evening wear, here are just a few of them:


















(c. VOGUE.COM)

This is my favorite kind of Galliano: ultra feminine and vintage-inspired. Don't get me wrong, I love all of his work, but I do prefer his softer, womanly looks over his harder edged ones; and this ready-to-wear line he designed for Christian Dior, from its sailor inspired suits (complete with sailor hats) to its hula cutie cuts, is nothing short of chic. I applaud Galliano and CD for their subtle hints of Atomic, Hawaiian prints and punches of electrifying Kool-Aid colors, something thats been missing from a lot of the other Spring and Summer shows this season, which have for the most part shied away from the warm and hot; sticking to mostly cool, muted pastels and vintage flowery prints.

I especially love the styling and mood of the show, which was reminiscent of a retro island getaway and inspired thoughts of volcanic goddesses, surfing with Duke Kahanamoku, and sacrificing cheesecake cuties to the mighty King Kong. As a model who dabbles part time in pin-uppery, I am just downright in love with these styles and I'm looking forward to incorporating them into my Spring/Summer wardrobe! (I'm also severely missing my 'Bettie' fringe right now lol) So whether you'll be in Hawaii or Tahiti drinking Rum and Coke-a-cola or not, I think every lady could do herself a favor this Summer with at least one of these tropical looks in their closet...

Finally! A way to do Tiki without looking like a cheesy tourist. Thanks, Galliano! <3

xoxo coco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by MTB and for all the kind words, everyone. I love reading what each and every one of you have to say! Seriously, it means a lot to me <3

Be sure to leave your blog link so I can check your's out/follow back :}