Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gifts of Birthdays' Past.

As many of you know, yesterday was my 21st birthday. (Yay me! Lol!) To celebrate, my mom made my favorite dinner - well, technically it was breakfast: Chipotle Eggs Benedict with Potatoes, Bacon, and Avocado, yum! My sister made some artwork for my room, which I absolutely love, and my mom upcycled this really awesome dress for me and bought me some matching shoes to go with it. I wore them out to Drinks and Dessert after. All in all, it wasn't a huge shindig, but it was fun nonetheless :}

(The artwork my sister made for me, now proudly hanging in my room!)


(The amazing dress my mom made! Reminds me of something Katy Perry would wear.)

I was recimiscing about past birthdays today, which got me thinking: when you breakdown my bedroom, essentially the whole thing is one giant birthday (and Christmas) gift. Its kind of funny actually: everything I've used to embellish/decorate it was a present in some way or another! So I took some pictures so you guys could see what my accumulation of birthdays and my humble piece of the household pie looks like...

(A faux panoramic of my room XD)


This is my vintage armoire; it was was a gift from my grandpa a few years ago. Originally it belonged to my great, great Grandmother, California, whom they called Cali for short. I love this, because its not only a piece of history, but its a piece of my family history, and I especially love that it still has the original department store sticker on the inside of the top right drawer. I keep all sorts of things in it and on it as you can see, including: my two favorite books, Burlesque & the Art of the Teese and Mermaids: Nymphs of the Sea, which is a collection of folklore/mythos, studies, and photos about mermaids; my perfume, My Place Or Your's, Gina by Benefit which is my signature scent; the doll and stuffed bear (my Pinkage wig sits atop its head) my mom made me when I was little; a framed photo of Johnny Depp; a vase with a dead bouquet in it (a gift from my ex that I just haven't thrown away yet, because I love the look of dead flowers to be honest); and my favorite shoes! Those sparkly silver ones are new, they're the ones my mom bought me to wear with my dress last night :D



Anybody who knows me in real life is fully aware of my undying love for Johnny Depp and I can't tell you how many people have given me Johnny memorabilia as a gift, which always rocks my world. I can guarantee that there is no bigger fan of JD in the world than me.


That handsome fellow is Schnitzel, a.k.a. one of the best birthday presents. EVER. He was my gift to myself last year and one of the the most important people in my life. Yes, I consider him a 'people', because he's more than just a pet to me; he's family. He's not very good at sitting still for pictures (this is one of the few good shots I could get of him sitting nicely), but we're working on it.





I bought Schnitzel from a lady off of Craigslist who told me he was a full Dachshund, but... She lied. He's part Dachshund and part something else (my guess is Beagle), but whatever it it is, he's all hound. I feel bad for him sometimes, because he got some wacky genes - the long Beagle body and the short Dachshund legs - which make him a total low-rider. No matter, I love him and his crazy eye. (The litter all had blue eyes when they were born that started turning brown within a couple of weeks. Schnitzel's right eye turned brown, but his left eye didn't turn all the way, so it's blue with marbles of brown and I adore it.) As far as myself and the vet know, he can see with it, though sometimes when we play fetch I do wonder XD

Yep, I've had some great birthdays.

xoxo coco

10 comments:

  1. This is my favourite post by you ever! Happy birthday for yesterday ^_^

    I love peeking into peoples' bedrooms via the blogosphere - you can tell so much about a person from the little bits and bobs they have lying around.

    Schnitzel is adorable. Love your make up in this post too!

    www.blahblahbecky.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww - Schnitzel is such a perfect name for him. Happy birthday, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 21st Birthday.
    I love to get presents that people have made. Anybody can buy, but not many people will take the time and love involved in making something.
    You are a very lucky girl, not only to get these type of present, but also to apreciate them.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. hay :) i just saw your link in IFB so i decided to drop by :) nice blog you have here. have a fabulous day/night!

    F. (opinionslave.blogspot.com) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! Coming by via Melody's Blog (it's all happening...) So I just have to say I'm inspired! And that my little one's nickname is Coco (short for Cohen).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best gifts are the ones that are handmade!! Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 21st Coco! It's been a long time since I was 21 and I am jealous of your youth. May I just offer my compliments on how talented your mother is? It looks like she reworked a grey bustier top into something totally amazing. She made a halter strap out of coral and grey tulle! That dress is dreamy and gorgeous!! I love the armoire and the shoes on top of it especially the pink Miu Miu shoes. I would be proud to display something that pretty too :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just scrolled down and saw that the shoes are Miu Miu-inspired and homemade! I am awed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the birthday wishes, ladies!

    @Sacramento: Same here. I love homemade gifts, especially cuz I'm such a crafty person myself. And when someone puts the time and effort into making me something, I feel so special, because I'm familiar with the hard work it takes to make something like that. I definitely do feel blessed :}

    @Francesca: Well I'm very glad and honored that you decided to stop by! Don't be a stranger <3

    @LenaLoo: No lie, Cohen is one of the cutest names I think I've ever heard. And I love that you call him Coco! Seriously, thats so freaking awesome!

    @Dee/The Merry Traveller: Thank you! A lot of hard work and love went into those! Hehe! They're like, my favorite shoes to wear now. Can't wait for my next DIYC though. They may make me choose favorites XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you and you dog look so cute! I just adore dogs :D
    And I love that armoire you received. Gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by MTB and for all the kind words, everyone. I love reading what each and every one of you have to say! Seriously, it means a lot to me <3

Be sure to leave your blog link so I can check your's out/follow back :}